A wide range of Hand and Foot controls for our WinDigi software from our classis USB hand controller to a full IP solution with multiple Wireless or Wi-Fi devices including our News Box controller which fully interfaces into ENPS / MoS Newsroom systems
The classic USB local wired Hand Control (A) connects directly to the PC via USB and is most suitable for standard prompting job. It can be used for right / left handed operation, provides full variable speed control of the script by means of a rotary potentiometer and has a 'top of text' facility for instant return after rehearsals together with a forward/reverse direction switch.
We offer a full range of wired and wireless hand and foot controller plus our News Box for extended prompting control features including ENPS / MoS Newsroom system integration. These can be used in multiple configurations as driven by the client’s needs and can be supplied in wired (IP RJ 45 Ethernet connection) or wireless configuration using Wi-Fi or UHF wireless connection
Wireless or Wi-Fi?
Portaprompt historically have used either USB for wired control infrastructure or for wireless operation UHF and this has been a successful formula. However there are limitations with UHF systems and since the launch of our WinDigi IP system we have moved into a standard “off the shelf” Wi-Fi 2.4 GHz systems for wireless operation and are now using this in our own hire and rental business. The benefits of this are:-
- Able to connect multiple control devices in parallel rather than just point to point connection with UHF system providing far more flexibility in the allocation of control devices in studio (one of the core benefits of an IP system)
- No requirement for operational licenses as possibly needed with UHF system
- Wi-Fi transmission distance are much better than the max 30m we are getting with UHF system
- No reported instance of interference in studio or “on location” hot spots – we do note that microwaves can interfere with signal but to date have never had a problem with this and do also recognise that we have historically had interference with UHF system hot spots especially in busy metropolitan areas where you may pick up emergency services and taxi / bike systems radios.
- Cost (running and purchase) of Wi-Fi system are far better commercial value for money
- However we do recognise that some clients have an existing UHF infrastructure and we can provide a UHF 433 MHz system albeit that this does have some limitations in the number of devices on one given system
Please note - The Ethernet / RJ 45 systems - requires a standard IT Router and for wireless operation a Wi-Fi router -which we can also supply. The number of Wi-Fi devices that can be connected will depend on how many ports you have on your router(s). For UHF operation we offer the SX1231 (B) a highly integrated RF transceiver capable of operation over a wide frequency range, including the 433, 868 and 915 MHz license-free ISM (Industry Scientific and Medical) frequency bands. In this mode they are used in point to point mode, so one control to one base station. This base station is then integrated into the wired IP infrastructure of the studio building for connection to the teleprompter. Limitations of this system is less range (approx. 30m) than the Wi-Fi system, less controls can be used to control the prompter also less cost effective as custom hardware is required to connect to the studio building infrastructure
The ‘Accelerator’ wired Foot Control (C) is designed to be left under a desk. Direction is controlled by pushing down on the controller moving the script forwards. Reversing is controlled by depressing the controller further. Hand and Foot controls can be attached through RJ 45 IP connection allowing several presenters to control the same prompter. The controller is available with either wired or Wi-Fi / wireless UHF connection (ideal where a trailing lead to the presenters’ desk is a problem in the studio).
The Wi-Fi Hand Control (D) gives the presenter the freedom to roam the studio whilst controlling the speed of the prompter. It has 4 buttons which include story reset, menu functions and story up / down – previous / next page plus the scroll direction control.
The Portaprompt News Box (E) Extended function hand controller for integration with Newsroom systems including scrolling speed control, go forwards, go back, beginning / end of play list, previous / latest news. Connects remotely to PC (router required) via IP cable or Wi-Fi for wireless operation.